The other day I was in need of a quick meal. Busy times call for efficiency and so I came up with a Shiitake Quinoa recipe. It’s easy, fast and super nutritious!
Shiitake is an excellent mushroom and is great for the adrenals. In times of stress, I make sure to add some shiitake mushrooms to my meals. Shiitakes are full of B vitamins which are depleted under mental or emotional stress. B Vitamins help us to remain calm under pressure and help balance our mood. Shiitake mushrooms also help to decrease inflammation, support the cardiovascular system, boost brain function and many other benefits!
This dish would be great for Pitta or a Kapha individual. If Pitta is overly high, reduce the amount of onions/black pepper and perhaps don’t include them at all, listen to your body 🙂
Heres the recipe:
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 2 handfuls of shiitake mushrooms, washed
- Quinoa 1 cup
- half an onion
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- Herbs de provence spice blend 1tbsp
- salt as desired
- pepper as desired
- turmeric 1 tbsp
- olive oil
What to do?
- Begin by cooking the quinoa, add 2 cups of water to the 1 cup of quinoa. Add 1 tbsp of turmeric, some black pepper, and salt. Also a 1 tbsp of olive oil. (This is great as a normal side dish, and spices up just regular quinoa. When adding turmeric and black pepper with a bit of oil you get all of the anti-inflammatory benefits of this super spice. Great for joints, pain management, and glowing skin)
- Wash the shiitake mushrooms, chop the onion into small pieces.
- Begin lightly frying the onions on a mid heat setting with olive oil. Add the cumin powder, salt, pepper, herbs de provence. After a couple of minutes, add the shiitake. Cook, until the onions are golden brown and the shiitake are cooked.
- Add the quinoa to the shiitake and cooked together for a couple minutes.
- Finished! Enjoy, with a side salad or add to another dish.